Thursday, May 13, 2010

Pimp Limp Fake Out

This evening I was completely brought back to the reality that my child has hip dysplasia, and that this will be something that will haunt us forever. We had a bit of a scare/ panic attack with Dane and his hip. I got home from work and immediately noticed that Dane was limping with his "bad" leg. Not just a small limp either, but a full force limp where he was having to throw his leg out to the side, and move it into a circular rotation with every step. He wasn't bending his knee at all when he would walk, and his pace wasn't very fast. He was limping probably 10 times worse than he did before his surgery. I started to freak out, my heart was racing, and horrible thoughts were racing through my head. When I mentioned it to Kevin, he told me that Dane's teacher had said he was limping all day, but she had no idea why. Well, I wanted more information. I knew he wasn't limping the night before, and he hadn't fallen that I knew of. So, we called his school, and talked to his afternoon teacher. She had no idea what was going on. She said that he had not cried at all that she was aware of, and had not fallen or anything. Can I just tell you that I was stressed out. I was almost in tears thinking that his hip had popped out of place. If you could have seen this limp, you would totally understand why we were panicking.

So, I brought him into my bedroom, laid him on my bed, took off his shoes and socks, and stretched out his legs to see if his legs were the same length. And they were. Before his left leg was over an inch and half shorter than the right because the hip wasn't in the socket. But his feet lined up perfectly... I started bending his knees to his chest and he could still do that. What was the problem? After I took off his socks he started reaching for his left foot and saying ow foot hurts. So, I started searching his foot and toes. Nothing. Kevin made the comment that maybe his tennis shoes were getting too small. I started looking at his shoes........

And I found the problem...

You are not going to believe this...


In his left shoe there was a sock that was bunched up at the toe of the shoe. First of all, can I just get a hallelujah that there was something in his shoe that was causing the problem... But, second how bad do you think we felt that he walked around all day with a sock bunched up in his shoe, that obviously hurt and caused him to limp. My poor little man!!! Third- Little annoyed that his teachers saw him limping and didn't think to check his shoes, socks, pants legs etc. Actually, I am a lot annoyed by it. If you see a child limping shouldn't you try to figure out why? Anyway, thank you lord that it was something funny like this, and not a serious problem.

And please Lord, don't do little tricks like this anymore to make me remember how grateful I am that his hip is ok... I promise that I won't take it for granted!

2 comments:

Anderson Family said...

Bless your heart!!! I can only imagine how scarry that must have been. I had problems with my hips when I was born and had to be in hop harnesses strapped to my chest for a long while after I was born. I did not have to have the extensive surgery that your little one has had to go through, but I can only imagine your struggle... Bless you!!!

N's Mommy said...

OMG! I was in suspense reading this! That would have totally freaked me out! Thank GOD he is okay!