Sunday, June 27, 2010

Thursday Tour and Hooding Ceremony

Kevin had graduation practice early on Thursday morning, so I took advantage and slept late in my comfortable bunk bed. I couldn't believe when I woke up and saw that it was 10:15 (Vermont time). I can't even remember the last time I have slept in that late. I'm sure it helped that I had no sleep the night before, and we stayed up at the Karaoke night until midnight. I probably could have slept a couple more hours honestly, I still felt tired when I woke up. Once Kevin got back we toured the campus, and then headed to Montpelier to check into our hotel and have lunch. There isn't much to do in Vermont. In Montpelier there is one strip of shops and restaurants, and that's pretty much it. We were both anxious to hear from Kevin's parents to let us know that they had arrived in town with our little man.

We met Barry and Jackie at their hotel. Dane was very excited to see us, he kept going back and forth between the two of us not sure who he wanted to hold him. I felt like he had grown a foot taller, and his vocabulary seemed to have grown by 1000 words. He was saying all kinds of stuff he hadn't said before he left. I was so HAPPY to have him back. We found a nice Italian restaurant to eat at before we headed back over to the University.

Thursday evening we attended a hooding ceremony for the graduates. The hooding ceremony is a special recognition ceremony for doctoral degrees and for graduate degrees students where the faculty advisor and the Dean of the Graduate School place the hood over the head of the graduate, signifying his or her success in completing the graduate program. It was a neat ceremony that took place in the University's chapel, but it did not have AC, so it got pretty hot halfway through. Dane got bored pretty quick, and Jackie and Barry took turns taking him outside so he wouldn't disturb everyone. He did enjoy though anytime that we had to clap. He would get excited and clap with this big smile on his face. If only we would have clapped more, he might not have gotten so bored.
It was neat seeing Kevin get "hooded"!! Very proud of his accomplishment of getting his masters!!




Dane wasn't to interested in taking pictures... he just wanted to play with Kevin's zipper on his robe! And we were so glad when it was over and we could go outside. It felt wonderful outside with the breeze, we were pretty hot and sweaty inside the chapel. So, on our way back to the hotel we stopped and got some ice cream!! yummy!




No comments: