Saturday, August 28, 2010

Potty Training

This week Dane has shown some interest in the potty. He told his teacher at school after watching a couple kids in his class use the potty that he "wanted to do that". So, the teacher sat him on the potty and he "tried" couple different times. So, I decided that I would give it a try and see if he is interested at home. He wouldn't sit on the potty when I had it in the bathroom, so I put it in front of the tv. I thought maybe he could sit on it while watching cartoons, and then hopefully he would accidentally do something in it. Well, that's exactly how the first time played out. He was sitting on it, and without knowing what he was doing he ended up using the potty. But, he immediately saw it, stood up and looked at me like he was shocked. I saw what he did I started celebrating and yelling and screaming. He was SOOO excited. He kept saying "I did it" and "high fives", and copying me when I would say "I'm so proud of you". I gave him some m&m's, and just went on and on about how awesome it was that he had used the potty. Well, he kept wanting to do it over and over. He would say "I want to do it again, mommy", and then he would sit back down and try again. It's pretty funny, because he wants to so bad even though he just used the potty 5 minutes ago and he will say "I can't do it". Sometimes I would catch him sitting on it for like 30 minutes trying so hard to tee tee again. So, for the 1st couple hours I just let him run around naked, because he kept wanting to sit on the potty. And he did it about 6 or 7 times including pooping on the potty. Great start, and I was really impressed!! But, I found out pretty quick that he did excellent while running around naked, but when he had on underwear or pull ups he wouldn't always let me know that he needed to use the potty. At first he would tee tee in his underwear, and then say he needed to use the potty not knowing that it was too late. A couple times he would start to use the bathroom, and then I guess stop, and tell me and we would hurry to take them off and then he would sit on the potty. But, I'm not stressed about it or anything, and I am in no hurry. I haven't even gotten to the point where I'm constantly asking him through out the day. We have been doing it for about 3 1/2 days, and some parts of the day he is all about the potty, and other times he wants nothing to do with it. So, I have been encouraging it when he is in the mood. He does really good during this part of the day, and we celebrate a lot. But, sometimes he says "I don't like the potty" so I don't worry about it or force him to sit on the potty during those times. I don't want it to become a frustrating thing for us or him. I thought he would want m&m's every time he used the potty, but he doesn't. He will use the potty 5 or 6 times and want candy once. He enjoys getting high fives over and over again more than chocolate! Who's kid is this anyway!

So there you have it... potty training at it's best. Now I will say this...not everything has been just honky dory. I am not enjoying the whole clean up of the potty. My gag reflex gets a lot of action, and I look forward to when he will use the big potty. He still refuses to sit on the big potty...so one step at a time I guess.

The first day he wanted to be completely naked... refused to sit on the potty with just a shirt on. Hilarious. Now he is ok with wearing a shirt!

And I do look forward to using this photo for black mail! haha

No comments: