Tuesday, September 14, 2010

This That & More

Can I be honest for a second? The last couple weeks I have been feeling a little down in the dumps, bummed, having a pity party for 1 or whatever you want to call it. I have a lot weighing on my mind, and struggle with "just putting on a happy face". On top of "real" issues going on, Dane is in a phase of "terrible twos", and it's wearing me out. I thought he had the case of terrible twos before, but it just seems like the last couple weeks they have magnified. It could just be that my patience level has decreased, and all my other frustrations that are going on just make his tantrums seem bigger than before, not sure. He has gotten extremely stubborn and strong willed, and it's like pulling teeth to get him to do whatever it is you want him to do. I feel like I'm constantly threatening to spank him, spanking him, putting him in corners, saying no, taking things away, bargaining with him, counting to 3, and so on. The thing that frustrates me the most is that Kevin doesn't have this problem. When Kevin tells him to do something or says he is going to get a spanking if he doesn't do what is asked, then Dane always gives in. Dane even quotes me now, which is pretty hilarious, but at the time can be so frustrating. He will say "Come Here Now", or "I count to 3, and you get spank'n", or "I'm so proud of you", or my all time favorite is "Yes, I want spank'n". Really???? AAAGGGHHH I'm open to suggestions! But, don't get me wrong he can still be the sweet lil thing that he is too. He's not always bad haha, he is actually pretty funny most of the time and quite the ham. Maybe I just need a vacation...or a girl's night out... or a shopping spree :)

Moving on... Things are still pretty much the same with my sister. She is in bad shape, and needs lots of prayers. I keep hoping that one of these phone calls from my mom will be to tell me some good news about her progress, but at this point it just seems to be the same. It's very disheartening, and sad all that she is going through.

Last week I took Dane to see his orthopedic doctor. He had an x-ray done of his hip, and the point of the appointment was to make sure everything looked the same since he had finished up with his physical therapy. I left the visit feeling wishy washy. It wasn't great news, nor was it bad news. Basically, Dane's hip is still in place, and hasn't moved at all since his last x-ray, which is great. Dr. Gerow was very impressed with his range of motion, his flexibility, his strength etc. He could see a massive amount of improvement from his 8 months of physical therapy. Then he showed me his x-ray, and explained what he didn't like. A normal hip joint is round and completely wraps around the ball of the hip like a cup. Well, since Dane's hip wasn't in place in the beginning his hip joint was pretty flat. The ball of the hip just pretty much sits up against the acetabulum instead of sitting inside of the cup. I guess after all this time, he was expecting the acetabulum to start to form the cup instead of staying flat, and it hasn't. Basically, he would like it to be more round than flat. He didn't seem that concerned about it now, but he wants to watch it and see if it starts to take shape. If it doesn't, well I want even say it.
It's just a frustrating thing to say the least... and the hardest part is that it's just a matter of waiting and watching, and having no control over any of it. Please pray that God starts to make his hip joint into a perfect curved socket.

On a lighter note... I feel like I am potty training 2 different children. Dane is weird when it comes to wanting to sit on the potty. If he is naked he won't have an accident what so ever. But, the second he has on underwear, diaper or pull ups he refuses to use the potty. Trust me when I say I'm not forcing it, or even stressing about it. But, it's just weird that he does so well whenever he is naked. Obviously, I can't let him go naked all the time, and have no idea why this seems to be his choice of training. His teachers at school "try" with him 5-6 times a day, and he hasn't done anything yet in their potties. Now the last time we were in Orange Granny said she was going to the potty, and he immediately said he wanted to go to the potty too, and did! Some days he is all about the potty, and other days he wants nothing to do with it. And that's where we are with that.

Dane is still doing really good in swimming. He no longer has Kaleb, the teacher he had after Rudy. That class was on Mondays, which just made for long Mondays, and to be honest I just didn't feel all that great about Kaleb. Not to be mean or anything, and I know that we were spoiled rotten with Rudy, but something just wasn't right. Dane seemed pretty timid with him, and it just felt like half of the class time wasn't focused on actual swimming, but just playing around. So, we switched to Thursdays, which has been so much better. And, Travis is his new teacher. Things are going great with Travis, and Dane seems to click better with him. He is doing really well with floating on his back, and kicking under the water. He still hasn't quite gotten how to turn over onto his back by himself when he is tossed in the water. He kicks and kicks, but can't get himself on his back quite yet. But, he is getting pretty close, and that is their main focus. If he ever falls or jump into a pool, we want to make sure that he can at least turn himself over to a back float until someone can get him out of the pool. I'll try to upload a video one of these days. It takes hours to do so, and I just haven't had the time or energy to do it.

Here's some pictures from today. We haven't done much lately. Just trying to keep little man entertained, while fighting the heat!




1 comment:

Sarah said...

Terrible Two's + a crisis with your sister + ongoing hip issues with your little man = justified down-in-the-dumps season! It stinks when Dad can come in and be the enforcer while our kid ignores our same requests! I don't know what it is about the "man" voices, but I think it's pretty common among households. It doesn't make it any easier on you though! Hang in there. I read "The Strong Willed Child", because like Dane, Taylor was a VERY strong willed child. She still is :)They are still the same sweet, amazing kids, they are just figuring out the boundaries. You are a great mommy! He'll find his "voice" to make his stand on his toddler choices, then he'll learn you too have a "voice" and it's the authority, not his.