Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Can we go back to 2010??

I'm hoping that these 1st 4 days of 2011 isn't a glimpse of how this year will be.  Because if so, we have a tough year ahead.  The past few days have been filled with emotional and stressful days.

It started off great on New Years Day.  We were in Orange to see my step dad get sworn in so he can start his years in office as being a judge.  It feels like it was such a long time ago when the election was going on, and when David won the race.  But, his term didn't start until this week. We had been looking forward to this for a long time now.  The ceremony was really neat to be apart of.  We got a surprise though when it was David's turn to be sworn in.  We had thought that just him and my mom would be standing in front of the entire congregation, but instead David asked that his entire family come stand with him in the front!  Not my cup of tea if you know anything about me.  I hate to be in front of a lot of people and have the attention on me.  It's so uncomfortable for me, and brings me back to when I had to take a speech class in college.  It was the hardest class I ever took, because obviously it was required to stand up in front of people and talk! Anyway,  it was really a neat experience though to stand there and listen to David repeat the things the judge was saying, and be sworn into office.  I was able to take some pictures of David and Dane in his new office and also his personal court room.  After the ceremony we headed back to their house where my mom had cooked a big lunch for New Years Day.  We got to spend some time with my grandparents, and aunt and cousins.  It was a great day, it really was.  We headed back to Houston after lunch and just enjoyed the rest of the day.

David in his new office.  He got hooked up on some really nice furniture! Can't see the other  part of the office, but there are some COMFY couches  for guests.  Really Nice!
Dane with his Poppy before the ceremony started.  First time I have ever seen David as nervous as he was.    If you know David you know he is a major jokester, always making people laugh... well not on this day.  Barely even get him to talk! I'm sure his blood pressure was through the roof! ha
Little man in his Poppy's new chair reading the BIG book of being a judge!
we made a visit to David's court room... hope he doesn't see any of you in there!! hehe
 David and his biggest supporter! They clean up well!
getting sworn in... I'm hiding in the back!


Now to the heavy stuff.  So New Years Evening once we were back in Houston my mom let me know that my sister was being taken to the hospital because she was throwing up and not able to keep anything down.  The facility that she was in was just wanting to be cautious because she has a seizure disorder, and since she was throwing up they figured that her seizure medicine would probably not be in her system anymore.  It wasn't anything to be worried about, just figured she had some sort of a stomach virus.  Well, that evening my mom let me know that they went ahead and admitted her to ICU, because she had had a couple of seizures, and they just wanted to watch her due to her medical history.  At this time it wasn't anything serious that anyone was aware of, and no one was that concerned.  Well literally in a blink of an eye everything changed and went south.  I got a call in the middle of the night from my mom saying that she was on a respirator, her body had gone into septic shock from an infection in her bloodstream and they didn't think she was going to make it through the night. So, I rushed back to Beaumont and my whole family was there. Basically the waiting game began.  We were told that everything that can be done has already been done, there's nothing else that can be done for her.  Her oxygen levels and blood pressure levels were dangerously low.  She had been given 5 different types of blood pressure medicine to increase it and nothing was working.  She was only breathing about 10 breaths per minute, which basically means she was fighting for her life, and the most critical state you can be without being dead.  

It's just one of those moments that you just want to scream out to God "Why are you doing this to her again? Hasn't she been through enough as it is? She has 2 teenagers that have been through Hell and Back.  Can you give her a break already??"  

It was a LONG emotional and stressful day.  We all just waited and prayed and waited some more.  Every time we would get an update from a nurse or Doctor it was the exact same.  Nothing has changed. Her levels weren't improving at all.  That night we were told she probably wouldn't make it, the 1st 24 hrs of being in septic shock is the most crucial, and honestly the doctors and nurses weren't optimistic whatsoever.  They were very upfront with how terrible her condition was.  Well, she made it through the 1st 24 hrs.  And yesterday nothing had changed until around 2:00 that afternoon.  We finally got something other than nothing had changed.  The doctor said that her levels had improved a little bit... not enough to consider her not critical, but they had improved a tad.  He also let us know that since she had made it through the 1st 24 hrs he was a little bit more optimistic.  He said she wasn't in the clear at all, but seeing that she survived those 24 hrs made him more hopeful.  Praise God.  Well, I went back to Houston yesterday evening, and got word this morning that she had improved again through the night a little more.  Still in very critical shape, but she is now only on 1 blood pressure medicine instead of 5, and her oxygen levels have increased also.  So, its a waiting game still to see if her body will continue to react to all the medication that has been pushed through her body.  So, please pray for her.  Also, the thing that is the main concern is that when she does wake up she will have damage in her body due to how low her oxygen has been.  She could have damage to her brain or to the other parts of her body that wasn't getting enough oxygen.  But, it's something that can't be tested yet, since she is still in critical condition.  The doctor said he couldn't be concerned with that until she is stable, because bringing her off the respirator too early could cause her levels to drop back down.  

So, anyway if you could please pray for healing for her. and also for my niece and nephew.  They have been through so much, and it's just not fair that they can't be normal teenagers.   My sister is a fighter, obviously.  Growing up she was always the "strong willed child and stubborn one".  She was always the one who had to have her way, and if she didn't want to do something then there was no way you would be able to talk her into it. She was a fighter then, and continues to be one now.  These qualities are definitely coming into play I think when she is battling for her life.  It's been extremely rough and hard the last few days, but I am trusting that God has a perfect plan for all of this.  


Corby Brooks said...

Oh Jayne! I am so sorry to hear about your sister! I will be praying for her! Keep me posted on how she is doing! God hears our prayers!

adeyiza said...

Wow Jayne! I am very sorry and we will be praying for her and your family. Thank you for sharing so that we know what to pray for.

Tiffany said...

I am praying Jayne.