Thursday, March 29, 2012

Cooking Light

Yesterday was exactly one month since I've given up sodas!! And it's also been exactly one month since I started counting calories and being very conscious of what all I'm eating. I don't crave sodas at all anymore. I've been drinking a lot of water throughout the day, and trying to make healthier choices. I will tell you something that I have noticed since I gave up sodas, which this may be pure coincidence but I'm really thinking not. Ever since being pregnant with Dane I have suffered from acid reflux and heartburn. When I was pregnant the acid reflux and heartburn was blamed on everything being pushed up by the little man. But, after he was born I continued to have it. Not only have I had the acid reflux and heartburn, but I have also had a continuous cough for years and constantly feeling like I have to clear my throat. Just recently I went to the doctor to get it all checked out, because my mom had me paranoid (thanks Mom) that it was something really serious. I had tests run and chest x-rays and it was diagnosed that I just had acid reflux. Well, I was given a prescription and it made me feel terrible while taking it, so I quit taking the medication because I felt worse than I did pre-medicine. Y'all I have not had ANY acid reflux or heartburn since I have given up the sodas. Not only that, my cough seems to be gone completely as well. It could just be pure chance, but I really think the acid in the sodas has a lot to do with it. So, I have given up sodas, and I mentioned counting calories. One month later I'm down 11.4 lbs. I feel like I'm accomplishing something!!! So... a friend told me about the cooking light magazines which has low calorie meals in it. We got the March addition and have been cooking meals out of it. It has not disappointed whatsoever. I am really shocked at how tasty these meals have been. They are really good, and you honestly can not tell the difference in the low calorie ingredients. And everyone knows how picky I am, but I'm telling you these meals have been really good. There's so many recipes in the magazine. We haven't gone through the whole March one yet, but looking forward to getting April's as well. I'm so happy to be adding to our meal rotation, because dinner can be pretty frustrating at our house. I'm really excited that I can eat a really good meal without having a ton of calories.Here are some of the meals we have been cooking. If you want the recipes let me know I would be happy to share.

Grilled Sirloin with Anchovy-lemon butter and broccoli rabe
calories- 223
Grilled Sirloin with Anchovy-Lemon Butter and Broccoli Rabe Recipe

Black Bean and Cheese Enchiladas with ranchero sauce
calories- 302 for 2 enchiladas
Black Bean and Cheese Enchiladas with Ranchero Sauce Recipe

Italian Meatball Sliders
calories- 429 for 2 sliders
Italian Meatball Sliders Recipe
Chicken and Sausage Stew
calories- 323 for 1 cup of stew and 1/2 cup rice
Chicken and Sausage Stew Recipe
Cheesy Pasta Bake
calories 492 for 1 1/2 cups

Cheesy Pasta Bake Recipe

1 comment:

Curly Girl Confessions said...

Good for you! I love Cooking Light. :) What app are you using to track calories?