Monday, January 14, 2013

This and That...

Since we got back from our  Dallas trip it has been super low key around here.  We have been trying to recover from the busyness of December and the holidays.  There hasn't been a whole lot going on the past week besides work which has been nice. We have a couple low key weeks before celebrating Dane's birthday that is a little more than 2 weeks away.  Still in denial that he is about to be 5!  I just can't believe it.  He thinks that the second he turns 5 he gets to ride the school bus to kindergarten... How do you explain that you are 5 but you still have 7ish months before starting "real school"? 

 We are doing his birthday a little different this year.  We aren't having a "real" party.  We are calling it a "party" to him, but it's really not in the grand scheme of things.  Instead of having a party somewhere here in Houston with lots of friends and family we have decided to take him to Lego Land in Dallas for his birthday. It was a hard decision because I love throwing parties, I don't want our friends to feel like they aren't invited to his party, and I don't want Dane to feel like he isn't getting a party.  But, after a lot of thought we really think Dane is going to love going there, and it will be a great celebration for his 5th birthday. After thinking about it I don't think it matters how many people are in attendance, it really comes down to if he feels special on his birthday.  I'm going to do my best to make sure that he feels special, and that his 5th birthday is fun and memorable.  
  Dane is OBSESSED with legos now, he loves everything about legos.  That's all that he wants to play with these days, so we decided that this would be a perfect place to go for his birthday.  I plan on bringing some of his presents to open, having a cookie cake to make it special,  I think he is going to have a blast having his "party" there.   Since his birthday falls on a Thursday this year, we are going to Lego Land on the Saturday before.  Then on his actual birthday I have some fun things in store like having the house decorated, bringing cupcakes and party favors to his school, and a special birthday dinner that evening.  I'm hoping that he feels as special as I want him to feel on his big day.  
anywhooooo.....

The past weekend we have had a lot of downtime.  We had Mexican food on Friday... nothing out of the ordinary there.  Ha


Saturday we took a trip to Academy to purchase Dane a bat.  He is officially signed up for his first season of tee-ball.  We are waiting for his schedule and team info.  His season, I believe starts in March. I really think he is going to like tee-ball.  He loves for Kevin to pitch him the ball, and for him to hit it and then run the bases.  He's pretty good at hitting the ball when Kevin throws it to him.  However, this is tee-ball.. so he will be hitting off a tee.  So, we will see.  I think that baseball is more of an individual sport unlike soccer, so I think he may like this better.  I could be way wrong, but we think he will enjoy getting a "turn" to hit the ball, unlike soccer where there is a crowd of kids going after one ball.  Time will tell, right?  Anywho... he is excited and was really happy to get a bat and glove. Really Really excited actually. We also bought a tee to get some practice before the season starts.  Unfortunately, it's been cold and rainy so he hasn't gotten to use his new stuff yet.  But, I'm looking forward to the season and seeing him in the uniform. I know he is going to look super cute.  We know several little boys playing in the same league, so I think it's going to be fun, and I'm hoping that Dane enjoys it!

Saturday night we had dinner over at a friend's house with 2 other families.  It was a low key evening with friends, and we had a good time socializing.  There were 10 kids total...6 being boys ages 4-6, so you can only imagine how loud and rowdy it was.  Ha  There is some crazy differences between girls and boys. The girls were around 6-8. Granted there were only 3 girls together in one room(one is only 18 months so not counting her in this scenario), but the girls played quietly.  We never really heard much from them, it was pretty quiet besides giggling, and the room was still pretty clean when it was time to go.  The boys on the other hand were running all through the house.  Loud and obnoxious.  They pulled out EVERY SINGLE toy there was.  The room was COVERED in toys.  There was shooting noises, and sound effects, and screaming and running and climbing.  Pure chaos.  Hilarious.  


Sunday while Kevin was watching football, and sadly while the Texans were getting their bootay kicked I took the time to get a little crafty.  Let's have a moment of silence for the Texans.........
Yeah, it sucks for them, I was really hoping they could pull it out.  But, I guess it wasn't their year.  
So, anyway I saw this valentine's day wreath off pinterest and I wanted to do it.  So, I made a quick trip to Michael's and then spent the afternoon getting my craft on.  
Here's the original that I stole the idea from...


And here's my creation...
I think it turned out pretty cute if I do say so myself.  I know it's still January, kind of early for Valentine's Day, but I just felt like being a little crafty in the V-day department.  Valentine's Day isn't a holiday I normally decorate for, but I love this wreath, I got some place mats that were on sale and super cute, and a banner from hobby lobby that I plan on sporting for the day of love.  The wreath was a little bit more time consuming than I had planned.  Wrapping the gray yarn around the wreath took some time, but I think it was worth it.  


Dane has been wearing his new cowboy boots every chance he gets.  He loves wearing them, and ask to sport them every time we leave the house.  And I have to say he looks SUPER CUTE wearing them.   He thinks he is so big when he is wearing them.  


And we have spent the evenings playing Dane's new game Trouble.  It's weird... he has like crazy insane luck with winning this game.  Maybe because I'm a bit of a softie, and if I have the option to not send him home then I try and avoid it without him knowing.  He gets so sad when I knock him out of his spot, so I don't do it every single time... just when I have no other options... otherwise I try and keep the peace.  HA But, even when we knock him out he still seems to win.  It's weird.  


And that's all I got...

No comments: