Monday, October 14, 2013

Here we are again

3 straight weeks of normal good behavior in kindergarten!! Can I get a what what?!?!?!


Dane gets to go to the library every Wednesday and check out a book.  This week he came home with a history book.  A HISTORY BOOK! Dear Lord say it isn't so that I may be living with 2 history buffs.  Even though he doesn't look too thrilled in the picture, he was VERY excited about his history book he checked out.  The day after he checked out the book (we had only read the book once), he told me all about George Washington and Johnny Appleseed.  
Then when we were going out of town this weekend and passed the statues of the historical figures near downtown on I10, Dane recognized and told us which one was George Washington.  Crazy I tell ya! :)
His teacher told us tonight at his parent/teacher conference that Dane always tries to pick books at the library that aren't on the kindergarten level that they set aside the kids can choose from.  He wants thicker books that are above his reading level, and that she has a hard time convincing him to pick out a book on the kindergarten shelves. Not a bad problem to have she said! He has recently REALLY taken a liking to books, reading, writing and drawing.  

Purple Day!
Dane was a little annoyed that there was a PURPLE day.  Not a fan of purple.  He came home earlier in the week and said "I know that this week is purple week and I am NOT wearing purple, it's not my favorite color".  So, I had to tell him that it wasn't about his favorite color that it was the color of the week, and that he had a REALLY cool shirt that he loved that had guitars on it, and the shirt had a tiny amount of purple on it.  It worked, but he was not a happy camper.  HAHAHA It's hard to see in the picture, but his shirt in the background of the guitars and letters has purple in it... the best we could do.  

We had a great weekend hanging out in Orange with my family.  We drove in Friday night after Dane got home from school, and spent the night eating some yummy chili and having a relaxing night watching tv.  Saturday we made the rounds seeing everyone, watching football and then going to the Lions Club carnival for a couple hours before heading back to the house to watch the Aggies play.  The carnival is something I grew up going to, so it was fun bringing my boys and showing them a piece of my past.  It's nothing fancy but all the money raised is used for different charities in Orange.  It's for a great cause, the food is super yummy and it's super duper cheap to get in and ride and play everything. We had a good time, and ran into several people I knew.  Dane was just the right size to ride all the "bigger rides" this year.  He rode everything, played all the games, and we had the famous burgers and funnel cake.  The only disappointment was that he didn't win a gold fish.  I remember it being easier when I was kid!! I can't even tell you how many fish I went home with over the years, and then be so disappointed that they would die after maybe 3-4 days.  It's all part of the Lions club experience!!  We attempted 3 rounds but he we could not get that ping pong ball in the stupid fish bowl to save our lives.  He was sad, but we told him we would just get him a fish from Walmart.  Ha! But, he hasn't asked about it since we left the parking lot so I think we are in the clear. 
Anyway, it was a fun night.  




Sunday we met up with everyone and had a little family social.  We hung out with my grandpa and a couple of his relatives that were in from out of town and then went and had lunch together.  We had such a great time, and Dane LOVED getting to play with his baby cousins.  I was so sad to leave.  :( 
I wish I had had my good camera with me when we hung out with Hadley and Baylor and I would have gotten some really good shots of them.  These cell phone pics just don't do it justice to how stinking cute they are together.  So stinking cute! Dane loves being their big cousin!!







Today we had Dane's fall parent/teacher conference.  It went great! Dane's teacher said his behavior has been 100% better the last 3 weeks and that she thinks he is now adjusted and doing great.  She had nothing but positive things to say about how he is doing in school.  Academically, he is doing absolutely great. He has exceeded all the district's requirements and assessments for the first 7 weeks of school.  Very happy to hear all the positive things his teacher told us!
Dane played on the school computer while we had our conference.  

Is it sad that its only Monday and I'm already wishing it was the weekend?!?!

No comments: