Wednesday, June 11, 2014

The day our little world changed forever

Well, a lot has changed since my last post.
We are no longer a family of 3, and parents to only one child.

Jace Ellis Wittschen 
has Arrived!!!  
He was born on
6-4-2014 at 9:52 A.M.
6lbs 4oz and 19 3/4 inches long

So... how did it all go down?  Let's back up to what led to a June 4th arrival.  
So, back at the end of April I had to get a whooping cough vaccine which is just a standard thing now with pregnancy.  A few days after I had gotten the shot I started having severe itching all over my body.  Not just normal pregnancy itching, my entire body was affected by the most intense itching I've ever experienced.  My soles of my feet and palms of my hands, my back, my knees, in between my toes and fingers were all included.  Nothing could take away the feeling, it was truly the most horrible medical thing I've ever had to experience.  The nights were the worst, the itching would get so intense that I would just sit in the bathroom for hours scratching, and putting cold rags on my body, taking ice cold showers etc etc.  I assumed it was a bad reaction to the vaccine, I later found out it had nothing to do with that.  It was just a coincidence that it occurred around the same time.  
So, at my next doctor visit which which was scheduled for 2 weeks after my vaccine I told my doctor about the symptoms I was having.  She confirmed it was not the vaccine, but that my symptoms sounded like a condition called obstetric cholestasis which is a condition that effects the liver.  It can be serious and lead to still births, so I was told if my blood results showed I had it then I more than likely I would be induced at 37 weeks.   
My blood results showed initially that I did in fact have it, but that my levels weren't high enough to to be induced.  So, it was good news and bad news.  It was good that it wasn't bad enough to harm the baby, but bad that we knew the cause of the itching and nothing could be done about it.  I tried benadryl and a couple prescriptions and nothing worked.  Pure misery.  I went back to the doctor 2 weeks later and she was hoping that my symptoms had gotten better but in fact they had gotten much worse.  I got re-tested to see if my levels had increased.

Which brings us to Tuesday evening afternoon around 5:30 when I get a call from my doctor telling me that my levels had sky rocketed, and the baby needed to come out now.  She wanted me to come into the hospital that night.  I pretty much freaked out and begged if there was any way we could induce on Monday.

We had so much going on in our family's lives this week, so out of all the weeks this was the week we were all hoping the baby would not come.  Wednesday and Thursday was Dane's last 2 days of kindergarten which included his class party and class awards.  Kevin was in the last week as well that included finals and getting grades in along with taking apart his room.  My step dad was having knee surgery on Wednesday, so my mom would need to be with him and my nephew was graduating high school on Friday.  But, my doctor did not want to wait, the baby needed to come out.
We had to pack and find arrangements for Dane for that night.  My cousin Haley came to the rescue because she lives 45 minutes away in College Station.  Dane was so excited that the pretty girl as Dane calls her was coming to our house.

We got to the hospital around 11 on Tuesday night, and then 9:52 on Wednesday morning we got our sweet boy!! Everything went well, and everyone was healthy! Jace was super duper tiny, the cutest little thing and so perfect.  Pictures don't do him justice.  Dane is absolutely in love with Jace.  He thinks he is super cute and is constantly rubbing his head.  We are officially a family of 4!!! Our lives have officially changed.

So, today Jace is exactly a week old.  It's been a fast week, but a great one.  I'm a little overwhelmed at how to blog about this week, because I have taken so many pictures, and I feel like a lot has happened. I'll have to make this into several posts, and I can't promise how fast I'll be shooting these posts out.  I kind of have an itty bitty little thing distracting me from my computer. :)

An overload of pictures from our hospital stay the first two days.  I'll put day 3 of our hospital stay on the next post.























































Lots and lots more pictures coming soon. 

1 comment:

Curly Girl Confessions said...

So precious! I am so glad everyone is healthy! Girl - you popped that baby right out. ;)