Sunday, November 1, 2015

Lordy Lordy Kevin's 40!

We had a big birthday in the Wittschen house at the end of October.  Kevin turned the BIG 4-0 on the 30th.  Life goes by so fast, I can't believe that he is already 40! 

Kevin didn't want to make it a big deal, and didn't want a big party.  I threw him a surprise party for his 30th birthday, and although he had a great time that night he had made it clear that big parties aren't really his thing.  Ha!  He doesn't like a lot of attention on his birthday, but I still wanted to make it a special event.    

We started off his birthday celebration with a little getaway to Gruene a couple weeks before his actual birthday.  We got tickets to the Gruene music and wine festival for that Friday night which included wine tastings with 4 local wineries, a 4 course meal, a private concert with Pat Green and then a meet and greet, and a public concert afterwards.  It was AWESOME! Everything about the night was just perfect and so much fun.  The dinner was delicious!! The private concert was amazing.  We got to see a side of Pat Green that we haven't ever seen.  He is hilarious and cracked the funniest jokes in between songs.  Then later that night more people filled up the Gruene Hall for a public concert and that was great also.  

The next day we headed into San Antonio and had a great breakfast at a cute little diner before heading to Fiesta Texas.  How else to feel young then to be at an amusement park and riding roller coasters.  We had a blast despite that it was super hot and humid the entire day.  We were sad that we didn't have fall weather while there, but that's Texas for you.  We had a great time and rode all that we could! 
Fiesta Texas was having Fright Fest since it was Halloween time.  So there were "monsters" and people dressed up walking around.  During the day it wasn't scary, it was more family friendly.  But, once it got dark Fiesta Texas had an actual train full of the scariest people I've ever seen pull in and the goal was to chase and scare the living daylights out of people.  Of course Kevin loved this.  He loves Halloween stuff, and was all about it.  I on the other hand got totally freaked out.  I'm not going to lie it was horrible for me.  HA! There were scary scary creepy clowns that would chase you and get right in your face.  Kevin thought it would be funny to get different freaky people to chase me.  I can't even tell you how bad I was screaming and how fast I was running.  I don't do well with scary stuff. At all.  Kevin couldn't stop laughing at me.  He's lucky that it was his birthday month or I might have just left him there! :)  I didn't get any pictures during the night time part.  I had a death grip on Kevin's arm, and was so freaked out that taking pictures was the last thing on my mind.  
Awesome little getaway to start off his birthday month.

I made mint chocolate chip cupcakes for Kevin and his co-workers since he went into work on his actual birthday.  I got the recipe off pinterest, and oh my goodness they were soooooooooooo good.  Oh man.  They were good!!!!

Then when Kevin got home he had 40 gifts to open up.  He was shocked that I got him 40 gifts.  Most were little things, or favorite treats, with a few real gifts thrown in there and then of course some funny gifts that made fun that he turned 40.   I printed out a bunch of hilarious e-cards and put one on each gift.  HAHA I had to pick on him a little bit! 

That evening we got to go on a date.  We went to the Melting Pot, which is a fondue restaurant for a romantic delicious dinner.  It had been years since we had been there.  Our food was amazing.  We did the four course option which ended up being a ton of food, but it was awesome.  We started off with the cheesy spinach artichoke fondue appitizer, and then had a salad. I chose the classic combination that included Certified Angus Beef sirloin, Memphis-style BBQ pork medallion, Pacific white shrimp, herb-crusted all-natural breast of chicken, and teriyaki-marinated sirloin.  Kevin's main course was the French Quarter  Premium filet mignon, all-natural breast of chicken, and Pacific white shrimp seasoned with Cajun spices and accompanied by flavorful Andouille sausage.  I copied it from the menu.  Then we ended the meal with milk chocolate and brownies, rice krispies, marshmallows, fruit to dip in it.  AMAZING!! 
Seriously AMAZING! We had a great time.  It was so nice to have an evening to ourselves and enjoy each other's company at a nice dinner.  
Then we ended the night at a wine tasting place near our house.  

Kevin's 40th Birthday was a success and I hope we are blessed enough to celebrate 50 more of his birthdays! 






 Kevin's impression of me on the rides... 
So funny.  We would get off a ride and go look at the picture that the ride takes and I would look like that and Kevin would look like he was on a calm Sunday drive with a peaceful facial expression.  HAHA


















Dane trying to talk Kevin into sharing his birthday candy with him








\







No comments: