Saturday, December 12, 2015

A BIG Scare

November 30 started off like every other ordinary day.  Jace woke up before my alarm clock went off which is pretty typical.  I got Dane up and ready for school, Jace was happy and acting completely normal.  It was a normal day until it wasn't.  
Jace and I headed to Houston to go to the Camera exchange store, we spent about 30 minutes inside looking around and Jace sat calmly in his stroller munching on goldfish.  He wasn't fussy or acting irregular.   He wasn't running fever that I noticed, he wasn't acting like he didn't feel well.  He was happy babbling Jace.

Then the day quickly turned in a blink of an eye into the absolute scariest day of my life.  We got back into the car and drove maybe a quarter of a mile when I saw in my rearview mirror him starting to make some weird movements with his head.  I remember saying out loud to him "What are you doing, are you dancing".  Then the movements quickly became extremely intense and his entire body and the car seat was shaking.  He started having horrible convulsions. My initial thought was that he was choking and wasn't getting air so he was shaking trying to breath.  It pretty much turned into a blur in that moment.  I rushed to the nearest entrance to a parking lot, and didn't even pull in.  My car was  left halfway in the street and the parking lot.  I pulled him out of his seat and he was still shaking hard and I went running into a business all while screaming and crying and begging for anyone to help me.  The shaking stopped and he became unresponsive and his face turned blue.  I did the breathing part of cpr on him all while panicking and crying. I can't even tell you how many CPR classes I've sat through, I've been trained in CPR for about 15 years but when it is your child it's just so different.  It's hard to really explain, it was almost like an out of body experience.  It was like everyone was in slow motion around me while I was panicking and feeling the most helpless and hopeless feeling that I've ever felt in my entire life.  I had run into a laundromat and the worker didn't speak English, but she ran to the business next door and 3 other ladies ran over to help.  One of the ladies called 911, and it felt like an eternity waiting for someone to arrive.  A policeman arrived first, and then a fire truck full of firemen who started taking stats and doing oxygen and other things to him.  Then the paramedics arrived.  A lot of the details are a blur.  It's so hard to explain how it felt with the internal chaos, but at the same time things going on around me in slow motion.  I remember the cop asking me questions about my car being in an unsafe place, and the 911 dispatcher asking the lady to ask me if we had been out of the country in the last 30 days and my brain not being able to focus on their questions.  I remember the lady saying "you don't know if you have been out of the country", and me not being able to answer.  I was in shock, and my brain was focusing on Jace.  Some of the details are still a blur, like how a fireman found my phone in my purse that was in my car and how he knew that out of all my contacts in my phone Kevin was who he needed to call.  But, the feeling that I had and the way Jace looked during all of it is engrained into my brain.  I don't think I'll ever be able to forget the feelings of being so scared and panicky and how limp and lifeless Jace looked.  
By the time we got to Texas Children's Hospital Jace was running a 103 fever, but he was stable and his stats were back to normal.  It was determined that he had a febrile seizure due to a spike in fever.  We found out that it's not that uncommon for kids under the age of 5 to have these.  He only had the one, so his was considered simple instead of complex.  Usually, kids will spike in fever and then have the seizure.  But, Jace's fever spiked at the time of the seizure.  We spent the entire day at the ER.  It was a very long day, with lots of tests run on the little guy.  Since he had the seizure due to high fever he is at a higher chance of it happening again, but his chances aren't as high as some cases since he only had the one seizure in the 24 hour period.  So, we can only pray that he will never have this happen again.

After a couple hours at the hospital Jace was back to himself besides being cranky because a day at the ER means no nap, no real food, and nurses messing with you every few minutes.  He was still running fever for a couple days afterwards, but didn't seem phased by what had happened. It took me a few days to recover.  Lots of ugly crying occurred once things settled down.  I kept replaying it over and over and was really struggling to get past it.  
I'm so thankful that the day turned out with him ok.  I'm thankful that I wasn't on the hwy when it happened, that I was able to easily pull over.  I'm thankful for the bystanders who jumped into action to help me, for the service workers and everyone who helped take care of him that day.  It truly was the scariest thing I've ever been a part of.  

No comments: